Inspired by a master Photographer
Problem Statement: Research a master photographer from the list provided, explore a thematic concept from a body of their work and shoot a roll of film that captures the overarching concept and photographic approach of your artist.
DO NOT COPY their photographs.
DO find inspiration from the general themes found in the artist's body of work and take a similar photographic approach.
Master Photographer List
Photographic Approach Worksheet
Develop a 2 page spread that explores the life and work of your chosen photographer. You want to be able to get inside the mind of your artist and shoot a roll of film based on a THEMATIC CONCEPT so it's important to understand the who, what, when, where and how from their body of their work. With that in mind, your sketchbook research should include at least the following:
1. Title your page with the name of you photographer.
2. Portrait of your photographer.
3. At least 5 images of your photographer's work - should show range and focus on the conceptual body of work you're most interested in exploring.
4. Biographical information about your photographer that is thoughtfully researched and purposefully edited and presented.
1. When and where was your chosen photographer born?
2. What type of education did they have?
3. When was this person first introduced into photography? How did they discover it?
4. Why was this person a photographer? Was it an occupation or a hobby?
5. What did this person do before or after they were a photographer?
6. What personal events occurred in the photographers life that affected their art?
About the photography:
1. How would you describe the style of the photographer?
2. What is the main shooting subject matter - what are they best known for taking pictures of?
3. What or whom influenced this photographer?
4. How do these influences appear in the photographers work?
(Art) Historical Context:
1. What contributions did this person make to the general public? The photography world? (at least 2)
2. Identify an art movement and or a publication your photographer is affiliated with. (examples: regionalism, surrealism ; Life magazine, New York Times)
3. How did being involved with this movement affect your photographers work? Think of ideas, or approaches, even other artists.
4. What was happening in the world that had an impact on your photographer's work?
5. What other artists / photographers did they associate themselves with?